For over two decades, I have been working with in digital media, researching user behavior, crafting flow charts, building architectural wireframes, coding hi-fi prototypes, conducting online surveys, moderating usability tests, and mentoring junior colleagues in the fashion, media, scientific and health industries.
Lead Product Designer at MSK
Dec 2020 – Present
As a member of Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center’s transformative DigITs team, I lead product design within both Service and Research Platforms.
Baseline Objectives as a Lead
- Partner with Product Owners, Business Analysts, Engineers, users, and leadership to craft and elevate multi dimensional user experiences at scale
- Architect, design, and host qualitative and quantitative user research sessions, workshops, and activities
- Ensure products are beautiful and easy to use for our patients
- Collaborate with the design team to build out quarterly roadmaps, balancing team capacity with product needs
- Establish page layouts, information hierarchies and pattern libraries
- Explore custom solutions, weighing their value with time and resources
- Participate in interdisciplinary workshops to problem frame, mine for business insights, and convert outcomes into action plans
- Apply a broad range of product design techniques, including sketching, prototyping, information architecture design, and interaction modeling
- Communicate conceptual ideas and proposed design solutions verbally and visually
Specific to Service Platform
- Collaborate with developers to design more efficient implementations within the constraints of Salesforce’s HealthCloud
- Coordinate with Project Managers to review limitations of and expand the scope of Epic, Cadence, and various third party tools (e.g. Full Focus)
Specific to Research Platform – MSK Extract Suite
- Mentor junior designers to produce designs that are elegant, efficient, and economical
- Integrate with UX Research to provide long tail studies and foster broad discovery
- Design dashboards and interfaces for effortless query building, natural language processing, artificial intelligence integration, data governance, data piping, and resource selection
Specific to Research Platform – Digital Pathology
- Work closely with pathology and histology to research and develop intuitive tools
- Augment, update, and advance specimen collection, part processing, and diagnosis identification
Lead UX Designer at Wolters Kluwer
Sept 2019 – Nov 2020
Responsible for the UX of OVID, the worlds most trustworthy resource for medical information.
Using UX research methods, I observe, assess, and iterate through design prototypes and UX Research methods. I design solutions that reduce option fatigue and frustration while surfacing hard to find, research functionality embedded deep into the tool.
In addition, I am integral to Wolters Kluwer’s re-imagining of this core resource by building relevancy models and testing them with current users.
Lead UX Designer at 7 Cups
Aug 2018 / Dec 2018
7 Cups mission is to provide affordable mental healthcare for the world.
As 7 Cups’ first UX designer, I was tasked to make their touch-points less vexing. To do so, I conducted user needs interviews and hosted surveys to deliver personas.
I designed wire-frames and prototypes, hosted usability tests, produced over 400 design artifacts, and several iterations of their flagship app – complete with wireframes, composites, and prototypes.
Finally, my homepage redesign created a 65% lift in engagement and conversion.
Sr UX Designer / Developer at Thermo Fisher Scientific
Mar 2014 / Aug 2018
Thermo is the world largest supplier of resources, instruments, and consumables for the bio-technology and scientific communities.
For our Selection Guides project, I reduced production costs from >$30k / 60 days to < $500 / 3 days by analyzing and unifying 358 disparate e-commerce tools across thermofisher.com.
As UX lead on a cloud application, I designed e-commerce awareness within uploaded lab notes for global bench scientists. This addition received 100% adoption reviews and would be the main reason to use the application according to user comments.
Innovation Forecast Manager, Consultant
A colleague at my former company asked for assistance in guiding global teams on effective practices for social media engagement and conversion.
I met with and guided remote, global teams and produced interactive reports of insights, findings, and recommendations. We mined social media data pools to analyze trends and develop predictions.
Web Applications Engineer (Front and Back End)
Bravo! @ NBC/Universal | Drupal Connect | NorthPoint Solutions| Sony Music Entertainment
Life as a developer was task based rather than outcome based. I engineered production code within aggressive Agile sprints and Waterfall deadlines, designed and developed engaging front-end solutions that incorporated framework technologies and third-party solutions, and mentored junior developers to ensure alignment across projects and solutions.
Artistic Director at Firmenich
At the start of my career, I was a co-creator of The Sensorium, an annual interactive marketing installation that redefined what a presentation could be within the health and beauty industry. “Sensoriums” continue on as a core brand for Firmenich.
My primary clients were Victoria’s Secret, LVMH, AVON, and all Estée Lauder brands.
I produced artwork within their existing design languages to win business by focusing solely on communicating aspirational experience. During this time, I authored and programmed robust multimedia stories in Flash and Director to serve the demands of this fast-paced environment.
- New York Academy of Art, MFA, Painting
- Art Students League of New York, Studio Painting
- Allegheny College, BA, Fine Arts/Philosophy
- University of Georgia, Summer Art Program in Cortona, Italy
- Nielsen Norman Group, UX Certified License 1010694
- Fashion Institute of Technology, Certificate in Fragrance Marketing
- Firmenich Perfumery, Certificate in Olfactive Training
SkillsCreative Visual Storytelling, Abstract Expressionism, Creative Problem Solving
- UX Strategy, Personas, Analytics, Wire-framing, Prototypes, Documentation, Usability Testing, Interaction Design
- Development Design Patterns, Site Architecture, Information Design
- Healthcare Salesforce, Epic, Cadence, Full Focus, CoPath
- UX Design AxurePro, OmnigrafflePro, Sketch, Zeplin, InVision, Abstract, HTML/JS prototypes, Flinto
- UX Analytics Site Catalyst, HotJar, Optimizely, Synthesio, User Zoom, Amplitude, AirTable
- Back-End PHP, iOS Swift, Python, MySQL, xCode, IntelliJ IDEA, Vagrant, SSL, SSH, GIT
- Linux/osX VIM, BASH, server admin (Apache, Tomcat, Glassfish), Maven, Gradel, HomeBrew
- Design Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash)
- Project Management Jira, Confluence, ActiveCollab, BaseCamp, Agile, AHA!
- Business MS Office 360, Apple (Keynote, Numbers, Pages)
- Content Management Systems Drupal, WordPress, Adobe Experience Manager (AEM, formerly CQ)
- Traditional Oil, Acrylic, Watercolor, Drafting, Portraiture, Landscape, Still-Life, Installation, Egg-Tempera
Years ago I was a fanatic contributer to the open-source project Drupal. I held sessions at meetups, mentored junior designers, kicked off “Drupal Playdays”, and even keynoted. Once I got into more UX roles, I found myself expanding outside of that community without an alternative to participate in 🙁
To this point, much time has passed since the contrib below. Hopefully that will change in the future – because I do miss being part of a passionate development community …
- 2018 Nerd Nite San Diego – Session on Painting and Hacking
- 2013 Future Trends Symposium, LA – Session on how programming proficiency will become a necessary skill
- 2011 Drupal Camp Key Note, Yale University – Talk on Ethics in Project Management
- 2011 Design 4 Drupal, Prague – Presentation on theme layer initiatives
- 2011 Design 4 Drupal, MIT – Presentation on theme layer initiatives
- 2010 Design 4 Drupal, MIT – Session on UX Design Design Patterns
- 2009 Design 4 Drupal, MIT – Sessions in the Beginning Themers track
- 2009 Drupal Camp, NYC – Volunteer, ad hoc speaker
- 2008 Drupal Camp, NYC – Afternoon session on Advanced Drupal Theming
- 2007 – 2013 Drupal Project – Themes, Modules, Documentation for the project
- 2010 – 2013 Drupal Play Days – Creator, host and community organizer. Playdays now have a life of their own!
- 2008 – 2013 Drupal NYC Meetup – “N00bie Table”– Creator and host. Come with questions, leave with expertise!
- 2008 – 2014 Drupal Camps – Contributor, guest speaker, torch-bearer